Month: January 2015
Welcome to the world of SharePoint 2013. SharePoint 2013 Production version is released & Live implementations are going on. In this article I would like to re-iterate the features of SharePoint as a whole & advantages of going with it.
What is SharePoint?
What are the features of SharePoint?
In this article I would like to discuss the various SharePoint Roles. SharePoint Roles and Assignment to people is an essential step towards SharePoint project analysis and implementation.
Following are the most important Roles, I could identify here:
- SharePoint Architect
- SharePoint Developer
- SharePoint Designer
- SharePoint Administrator
- SharePoint Trainer
- SharePoint Power User
- SharePoint User
The role involvement is depicted below:
Following are the responsibilities of Architect:
- Should be an expert in SharePoint, .NET, and SQL Server
- Analyze requirements and gain business objectives
- Collaborate with Customer
- Define and implement Governance Plan
- Architectural decisions on number of servers, capacity planning, taxonomy, etc.
- Direct developers in building custom solutions
- Direct administrator on SharePoint infrastructure usage
- Configure search center, business intelligence
- Decide on Hold, Retention policies
- Ensure performance and monitoring mechanisms of the implementation
- Develop custom solutions for SharePoint involving Web Parts, Workflows, Object Model
- Submit Deployment Package to administrator
- Should have a good knowledge with SharePoint Out of Box features and programming in .NET
- Responsible for running unit tests, memory tests involved in development
Following are the responsibilities of Designer:
- Expert in HTML, CSS, XML, Master Pages with good understanding of SharePoint features
- Provides customization of SharePoint Site Pages
- Implementation of branding
- Responsible for the non-programming customizations of SharePoint
Following are the responsibilities of Administrator:
- Expert in SharePoint Out of the Box features, Active Directory, with good amount of networking skills
- Setup Windows Server, SharePoint Servers, Services, Active Directory, IIS etc.
- Monitor the health of Servers, implement retention policies
- Performs Site Collection setup, DNS mapping, users, and Permissions setup
- Assigns new users to groups and sets access to sites based on requirement
- Coordinates with network administrator
- Deploy new solutions, components to SharePoint server
- Executes PowerShell scripts
- Performs backup of content database
Following are the responsibilities of Trainer:
- Expert in SharePoint from user point of view
- Well knowledge with SharePoint compatible browser, Office applications
- Train customers to a good amount of confidence with implementation
- Train customers in creating Sites, Libraries, Lists and using Office Integration, Search
SharePoint Power User
Following are the responsibilities of Power User:
- Power User is a User with a good amount of knowledge in SharePoint features
- Should be guiding other users during times of difficulties
Following are the responsibilities of User:
- Should be expert in business functionality and knowledgeable with SharePoint implementation.
- Performs his/her activities through SharePoint.